[consulting] Req for (paid) support

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Sun Dec 25 01:19:16 UTC 2005

Dan Robinson <dan at civicactions.com> writes:

 % have you seen it work badly?

 Yes.

 % What hasn't worked for you?

 A) The timeframe for messages coming from the site are irratic and so
    it is not possible to have a meaningful flow of email conversation with it.

 B) The content/format of some of the setups make it so that you may get
    announcements by email, but you can not reply reasonably. All you can
    do is go to the website and use the website.

 C) Some set ups assume that my mail client is a web mail client. Which is
    not true. And so they break my client

 D) the format of messages are often restrictive, so when people
    use the natural features of the mail clients, they don't translate
    directly to what the forum supports.

 E) I have yet to see a seemless interaction where one person used email
    and the other used the forum for anything but the most minor of
    conversations.

 F) Using mailhandler assumes that I have rights to change the PHP installation
    configuration of my ISP. This is an assumption that is most often false.
    And I have not yet seen a mail handler installation which could be done
    cleanly on a site where I did not have root.

    (But I have not looked at mailhandler for several revs.... )

 % > Do you have a recipe that works well?

 % There is one here - <http://civicspacelabs.org/home/dgroups-recipe> look
 % down where it talks about mailhandler - they are integrating with sympa
 % - but I've done it with mailman and ezmlm - no difference.

 thank you. I will study it. I have found that organic groups breaks my
 node permissions by role code. And since node permissions are of high priority
 to me, I have not ever gotten an organic groups solution to work as I want.

 but I will ignore that and try to understand the steps to see how clean it can be.

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively
                             .