[consulting] Req for (paid) support

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Sun Dec 25 01:48:14 UTC 2005

>Dan Robinson <dan at civicactions.com> writes:
>

> % have you seen it work badly?
>
> Yes.
>

> % What hasn't worked for you?
>
> A) The timeframe for messages coming from the site are irratic and so
>    it is not possible to have a meaningful flow of email conversation with it.

not sure if this is an issue with mail delivery or whether you need to
run cron more frequently - I set mine at 1 min.

> B) The content/format of some of the setups make it so that you may get
>    announcements by email, but you can not reply reasonably. All you can
>    do is go to the website and use the website.

not sure what you mean here.

> C) Some set ups assume that my mail client is a web mail client. Which is
>    not true. And so they break my client

again not sure what you are referring to.

> D) the format of messages are often restrictive, so when people
>    use the natural features of the mail clients, they don't translate
>    directly to what the forum supports.

this is an mime issue (I think)  - and I believe has been upgraded recently

> E) I have yet to see a seemless interaction where one person used email
>    and the other used the forum for anything but the most minor of
>    conversations.

I believe it is happening on the CivicSpace forum - I use email
exclusively myself - some people use forums exclusively.

> F) Using mailhandler assumes that I have rights to change the PHP installation
>    configuration of my ISP. This is an assumption that is most often false.
>    And I have not yet seen a mail handler installation which could be done
>    cleanly on a site where I did not have root.
>
>    (But I have not looked at mailhandler for several revs.... )

hmmm...  I don't think Mailhandler requires any special OS permissions -
but I may be mistaken.

> % > Do you have a recipe that works well?
>
> % There is one here - <http://civicspacelabs.org/home/dgroups-recipe> look
> % down where it talks about mailhandler - they are integrating with sympa
> % - but I've done it with mailman and ezmlm - no difference.
>

> thank you. I will study it. I have found that organic groups breaks my
> node permissions by role code. And since node permissions are of high priority
> to me, I have not ever gotten an organic groups solution to work as I want.
>
> but I will ignore that and try to understand the steps to see how clean it can be.

 I don't believe there is any dependency on OG for this - I just pointed
it out because it should have enough information to get you started at
least.