[consulting] Req for (paid) support

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Sun Dec 25 03:17:37 UTC 2005

Dan Robinson <dan at civicactions.com> writes:

 % > A) The timeframe for messages coming from the site are irratic and so
 % >    it is not possible to have a meaningful flow of email conversation with it.

 % not sure if this is an issue with mail delivery or whether you need to
 % run cron more frequently - I set mine at 1 min.

 I am not saying about how I set it up, but how I have seen it set up
 and how it worked when I used that site.

 % > B) The content/format of some of the setups make it so that you may get
 % >    announcements by email, but you can not reply reasonably. All you can
 % >    do is go to the website and use the website.

 % not sure what you mean here.

 There are complications from having mime mail with attachments.
 there are complications with some sites which do not allow for
 email -> forums correctly.

 % > C) Some set ups assume that my mail client is a web mail client. Which is
 % >    not true. And so they break my client

 % again not sure what you are referring to.

 The message is set up with html, and perhaps never even have the content,
 but just a pointer to the content. And so again it either assumes that
 I can read html or that I can link to a web page, which takes me out of
 my mail client.

 % > D) the format of messages are often restrictive, so when people
 % >    use the natural features of the mail clients, they don't translate
 % >    directly to what the forum supports.

 % this is an mime issue (I think)  - and I believe has been upgraded recently

 Ok. I have not tested it enough? I will check this again.

 % > E) I have yet to see a seemless interaction where one person used email
 % >    and the other used the forum for anything but the most minor of
 % >    conversations.

 % I believe it is happening on the CivicSpace forum - I use email
 % exclusively myself - some people use forums exclusively.

 Can you point at a specific forum that you think is working?

 % > F) Using mailhandler assumes that I have rights to change the PHP installation
 % >    configuration of my ISP. This is an assumption that is most often false.
 % >    And I have not yet seen a mail handler installation which could be done
 % >    cleanly on a site where I did not have root.

 % >    (But I have not looked at mailhandler for several revs.... )

 % hmmm...  I don't think Mailhandler requires any special OS permissions -
 % but I may be mistaken.

 it did the last time I tried to install it.
 Not OS things, but PHP configurations.
 Perhaps this is now adjustable via .htaccess files.

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively
                             .