[consulting] the Ultimate forum based Malinglist Manager

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Fri Dec 30 19:38:26 UTC 2005

>> Respectfully this is not helping the discussion much.  Do you guys have
>>
>> a plan?  When will it be revealed?  What is the schedule?
>>

> We are focusing on writing code.

cool.

> CivicSpace Labs has maintained Mailhandler, Listhandler, MassMailer
> and checked our code into a public and well know code repository,
> Drupal CVS.
>
> We have done prototypes, http://dgroups.civicspacelabs.org, and
> distribute these modules as part of the CivicSpace distribution and
> provide support here: http://civicspacelabs.org/home/community

right - and these all use the existing mailhandler / listhandler
functionality and have not extended that to cover a more integrated
forum/mail list manager approach - or have I missed something?

> We have documented them
> extensively http://civicspacelabs.org/home/dgroups-recipe,
> http://civicspacelabs.org/home/dgroups-case-study, http://drupal.org/handbooks/mailhandler, http://drupal.org/handbooks/massmailer, http://drupal.org/handbooks/listhandler, http://drupal.org/node/40777

right - and I and others have pointed people to this existing
documentation - Thanks for doing all that!

> We have committed code and done significant re-writes to Organic
> Groups to enable mailing list integration as well as integration with
> CiviCRM to allow for contact management.
>
> http://drupal.org/node/28781-Introduce OG user hook
> node_access table
> http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/og/contrib/og_civicrm/

yes - OG is coming along nicely - very exciting!

> We have also worked with
> Moshe(http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/listhandler/contrib/email_list_mailman/)
> and Peter John Hartman
> (http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/mlist/) to
> disucss their mailing list integration implementations which don't
> meet our security and mailing list creation needs.
>
>> Is there a reason that this is not being pursued in the light of day?
>

> We are focused on writing code.  When it's ready we will check it into
> a public repository and document it like we do with everything.   If
> there are developers who want to write significant code contributions
> we are happy to work with them as we have in recent meetings with
> Allie, from CivicActions.

Right - and here's the rub - you guys are working on something - we
don't know what that is.  If you are writing something that we can use
and it will be done in a timeframe that works for our needs then great -
if not then it would be nice to know that becasuse otherwise we wind up
sitting around wondering whether someone else is doing or not doing
something specific.

> Conversations about infinite features on infinite platform
> combinations that are not backed with collaborative code contributions
> in a publicly accessible repository have not proved useful in the past.

yeah - shooting the shit is fun - but not as much fun as when beer is
involved.  But this conversation isn't about "infinite features on
infinite platforms" - I assume from your comments that you guys have a
particular feature set and platform in mind?

As always - thanks for chiming in :).