[consulting] Drupal considerd dangerous

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Thu Dec 21 21:22:53 UTC 2006

Hello, all,

Some thoughts interspersed below --

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> Evan Leibovitch wrote:

Different people have different needs -- it's virtually impossible to
create a general statement that will successfully address an infinite
number of hypothetical specifics.

>>> By targeting specific uses we tried to highlight it's strengths.
>>> Highlighting weaknesses is not very useful as it's frequently the
>>> limitations of the users ability to use a tool that are the real
>>> weakness.
>>>

>> Well, there we have it: "There are no weaknesses in Drupal, just
>> weaknesses in users' ability to master it."
>>
>> You have me at a loss for words, I honestly have no answer to something
>> so incredibly arrogant.

A little over the top, neh? I think that all of us have experienced
PEBKAC. Acknowledging that reality isn't arrogant, it's acknowledging
reality. Kieran has also done A LOT of work at making Drupal more
friendly for new users --

> And I haven't even said anything yet. .p

And I'm still waiting :)

>>> What do you suggest?
>>>

>> The kind of honesty that Bill suggested. An acknowledgement that Drupal
>> isn't for everyone, and a frank analysis of its advantages and
>> drawbacks.
>>

> The problem is that it is hard to see what is an advantage for somebody
> and what a drawback. It might be reversed for somebody else.

Yup.

>> Respect for users' intelligence rather than contempt.
>> Emphasis on understanding what users need, rather than what you expect
>> of them.
>>

> Users often don't understand what they need, how should we?
>
> I think the page in question is rather well written. For most of the
> examples given it is listed that you need site-developer skills.
>
> I'd however take out the blogging example. Drupal is not for bloggers.
> These people expect a turn-key solution which Drupal currently does not
> offer. Maybe it could be changed to "corporate blogging" or "group
> blogging" and given a higher level of expertise needed.

FWIW, I like the page -- it's pretty well written, and clearly states
that a level of expertise is needed to use Drupal.

Now, it's time to get back to work -- I work at a start-up, and I'm
trying to sort out this really dangerous CMS ;)

Cheers,

Bill

--
Bill Fitzgerald