[consulting] Drupal considerd dangerous

Sami Khan sami at etopian.net
Tue Dec 26 03:12:37 UTC 2006

Kaliya,

 From what I can understand in terms of what you wanted to do... it
seems to me that at this point Drupal would be able to do what you want
of it, which if I am reading correctly means changing a create content
page for the blog content type to something different? Essentially the
Form API in 4.7+ allows you to change the forms without hacking the
core... I believe that in the past, you could've done the same with a
static form without hacking the core -- again your developer has to be
relatively experienced to know that... Drupal in the past did not use
any special keys, etc, in order to verify that it generated the forms...
it can and does now.

The direction that Drupal is going is not necessarily that it will cure
all (or any) ills out of the box, but instead it will let the developer
change it to meet the specific problem in a non-hackish way. But again I
don't think that the budget is going to be on the excessive low end
still -- regardless of how much time goes by... What you actually need
is someone who's a Drupal coder and is committed to your cause... or you
can convince them to get involved in your cause... Apart from that, you
will be spending a decent amount of money for both the actual
functionality and the appearance of your site.

Looking for a Ruby solution is essentially looking for the same problems
from a different language and a different community which may or may not
be weaker than the PHP/Druapl community (don't want to start a flame war
here). The cost to maintain either or to develop them to your vision I
think will be similar, if not more so with Ruby. The reason I make such
a blanket statement is because one, Ruby is still early as a language,
deployment can be an issue with Ruby as support isn't as common as it is
for PHP, as well as scalability, though I have seem some evidence to the
contrary that says that Ruby can scale decently to a point. The second
is because I don't know of any other Open Source projects that are as
mature as Drupal or even provide as much or similar functionality in
terms of creating an on line community based website that have been
written in Ruby and released to the public -- but I do want to be
corrected if I am wrong. Perhaps with RoR you can roll one out in no
time, but I think it's more likely months if you're using a single
developer. Ber knows the community better, so perhaps he can comment on
it...

A good example of what I think might be your direction is this:
http://www.mothersclick.com/ ... It's in Drupal, but again likely has a
decent budget. Usability is essentially forms, menus, themes, and in
general the UI... We're getting to the point (if we're not already
there) where you can change all of Drupal without touching the core...
But still each time you will have to upgrade your modules, themes, etc,
to match the latest version of Drupal... which is going to come at a
cost... and you have to bear it, or get a person who will bare it for
you. Upgrading may be as expensive as deploying a unique solution, but
the tradeoffs in terms of existing functionality, community, and
security might be worth it... But I can't do any sort of TCO without
knowing the alternatives and how well they have functioned in the
past... and perhaps that's needed to make a fair comparison and not be
unnecessarily harsh to Drupal or the community that makes it happen.

Regards,
Sami