[consulting] Drupal considerd dangerous

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Wed Dec 27 03:15:14 UTC 2006

On 12/26/06, Kaliya * <identitywoman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/25/06, Sami Khan <sami at etopian.net> wrote:
> >
> > Kaliya * wrote:
> > >

> > > On 12/24/06, *Sami Khan* <sami at etopian.net <mailto:sami at etopian.net>>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > >     Drupal can and will pretty much do anything that a web application
> > >     can do given it's in the right hands of people, this is in terms
> > >     of functionality, ANYTHING!.If one of the core developers takes on
> >
> > >     a project that they're bound to finish regardless or any
> > >     circumstance then yes Drupal can be developed into any type of
> > >     application you want, period.
> > >

> > > Ok. so you Sami just proved the point of the original author of this
> > > thread. This is the arrogant 'it can do anything attitude' along with
> > > the caveat 'especially true if you are core.'
> > > Well the companies that adopted this and then were hurt likely heard
> > > the first sentence and didn't quite get the second sentence. They then
> > > found out about it when the got stuck and had to pay some core
> > > developers really high rates per hour to get them unstuck. Of course
> > > core guys can build what ever they want. The swim in the code all day
> > > long and have done so for years. This does not mean it is the right
> > > choice for a startup.
> > Kaliya,
> >
> > I don't think that the startups were hurt because they choose Drupal,
> > but rather because of the fact the first of all the believed the
> > assertion without asking what was the catch... that's due diligence.
> > Second, once they adopted a technology, and considering that they
> > themselves were not developers or not well versed in Drupal, how did
> > they aim to retain the developers?
>

> They thought because it was Open Source and an established platform that
> they the smart developers would be able to get up to speed and do what they
> want. You are all experts hyping a platform you are all experts in and then
> charging people high prices. Obviously it is working to some extent and some
> folks are getting 'hurt' and that is the way it is.

Kaliya

I think that you raised a very similar point months ago, and the reply was
that we are not
a secret society conspiring to inflate the prices for clients. We don't have
a secret handshake,
nor do we (collectively) hold a monopoly.

We encourage new comers to become experts. We do not place barriers
artificially for them.

It is an open source platform that is well documented at the API level
(check api.drupal.org),
and good developers should be able to pick it up. Yes, there is a learning
curve, but that is
common with any platform that does so much.