[consulting] Supporting core Drupal development

Zack Rosen zack at civicspacelabs.org
Thu Feb 9 00:01:10 UTC 2006

As posted here: http://www.zacker.org/supporting-drupal-platform-
development

One year ago at the DrupalCon in Vancouver there were about a dozen
of us. In Portland six months ago there were thirty or fourty. Today
there are well over one hundred Drupaler's in attendance hanging out,
learning, hacking, discussing, drinking beer, and scheming for Drupal
world domination.

The Drupal software, the user base, and espescially the economy
around the platform have seen an explosive growth in the last year.
When we started CivicSpace a year and a half ago there were only a
few of us who made a living in and around Drupal. Today there are
well over one hundred people employed to hack on Drupal between the
contract firms and the user-developer base. With a little napkin math
I estimate that in a year the Drupal economy has grown from ~$500K a
year (10 X $50K) to well over $5M a year!

Despite this phenominal growth I have some concerns about what the
next year holds in store for the Drupal platform and the community
around it. As I see it, most of the value created by the Drupal
community that vendors and consultants rely on to sell as services to
ther customers come from unpaid core contributions. Examples of this
are the majority of 4.7 improvements: multiple block regions, new
forms API, installer work - these were all unpaid contributions to
the community by volunteers or pro-bono work from Drupal firms. At
the same time though many of the seasoned Drupal core hackers are
getting job offers left and right to come and do Drupal consulting
full time. This is creating a scenario in which while many more
people are paying their bills through Drupal hacking and more and
more business are built around business value created by the Drupal
community, it is not getting any easier to make sure the heavy
lifting on core work is getting done. For example: I know of no
funding availiable to support key work on Drupal core projects such
as continued forms API work, actions & workflows development, CCK,
and most importantly; usability improvements.

In the next year I am expecting the economy around Drupal to continue
on it's fantastic pace. I would not be surprised if by 2007 the
economy was well over $20M annually. My big question here in
Vancouver is: What can we do now to make sure that some of the money
coming into the community over the next year is put back in to
supporting the core work that we as a community are relying on?

-Zack