[consulting] Costs of forking

Andrew Hoppin andrew at civicspacelabs.org
Thu Feb 9 18:40:26 UTC 2006

My market is community building and advocacy applications of
CivicSpace/Drupal, and in that realm at least it's *really* important
to me that we DO talk to clients about these issues and distinctions--
not just so that they'll let us contribute back and pay for it, but for
THEM... clients who begin to climb a learning curve about the software
they'll going to depend on will make better use of it and have better
results from it... and, critically, they won't be dependent on ME and
can move to a different consultant more easily if they ever think that
I stink.  This lack of vendor lock-in is a big selling point for FLOSS
and is empowering to clients, but it isn't a very real benefit if they
don't understand anything about it...  The clients I'm interested in,
and the ones that are going to do the most innovative and meaningful
(to me) things with our software, are the ones whose objectives and end
results necessitate understanding the basics of how our community and
software development process works.

Andrew