[consulting] Costs of forking

Ken Collins ken at metaskills.net
Thu Feb 9 16:16:39 UTC 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 7:49 AM, Bèr Kessels wrote:
> In my client environment, they really don't give a **** about forking,
> maintaining patches, or being part of the club. they Just Want A Site.
> Finished by tomorrow, but preferably yesterday.

> Most of the times when you start about "community development" or the
> "benefits of OSS development" the eyes of your client or CEO will
> glaze

This is so true. I've managed and sold CMS and OSS projects going
back to 1999 using ZOPE. I have specifically been asked by a few
clients to NOT mention any of this technical stuff in proposals and
such. It's more professional that you handle this on your personal
business end. My term for it is the "IBM Shovel" but I digress...

Clients want to stay focused on the objectives, end results, etc. and
if you are a geek (ie, you know what forking is) but yet, you act as
business development, AE, or other manager you too should be focused
on the clients end result and communicate along those lines.
Technicalities like forking, get in the way of that line of
communication.

Remember too, that many clients have their clients where your
services are a part of the bigger plan. If "your" client even
understands these concepts, they will never make their way to your
client's client.

  - Ken