[consulting] Vancouver: Session on "costs of forking" /
"Supporting Drupal core development"
zack at civicspacelabs.org
Fri Feb 10 00:30:28 UTC 2006
Training more developers
* people who come to Drupal in a haphazard fasion
* need to build an application and need a platform - ROR / Django
doesn't give me all, Drupal gives me everything
** hard to get ramped up and understand the architecture
** gotta go w/ the hype - screen casts, docs, etc.
** [ACTION ITEM] How do we make the nitty gritty interesting stuff in
Drupal apparent from the surface (Jon VanDyk writing a book), code
jams, conferences, screencasts etc, workgroup / training, host
committee for core developers, newbies.drupal.org (bring docs up to
$$ for core development
* Zack's Spiel
* Josh, paid core dev. work is 'scary'. outside forces driving
development can be scary
* Not all people going to need to pay for core
* Should not be hard to raise money, just ask for it
* Adrian: we should go after research funding
* Gregory: bounties and sabbaticals
* Drupal most like KDE. Set up a non profit / foundation to drive
* How do we get a serice provider directory page?
* Sketch out a spec, figure out how to make it later:
Serice Provider Directory
- Code commits
- Portfolio of sites
- Time (contractor, full time)
- Feedback forum
* [ACTION ITEM] Zack drives this, raises money, richard orris will
hack on it
On Feb 9, 2006, at 1:39 PM, Zack Rosen wrote:
> Will do. All notes will be posted back on the web.
> On Feb 9, 2006, at 1:05 PM, Gunnar Langemark wrote:
>> Hi Zack
>> Please keep us updated - those of us unfortunate enough to be
>> staying back in Europe or elsewhere...
>> Zack Rosen wrote:
>>> Hey folks. I am holding a session here in Vancouver today on the
>>> topics I've been posting about called "How to make money and
>>> support Drupal at the same time" at 2:30PM - 3:45. Topics I want
>>> to discuss include:
>>> * How and when to get clients to think in terms of investing in
>>> open-source not simply buying technology
>>> * How are we going to make sure core development gets financially
>>> supported over the next year?
>>> * What are the next steps on Drupal.org improvements (work on the
>>> Drupal consultant directory)
>>> consulting mailing list
>>> consulting at drupal.org
>>> --No virus found in this incoming message.
>>> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>>> Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 267.15.3/254 - Release Date:
>> consulting mailing list
>> consulting at drupal.org
> consulting mailing list
> consulting at drupal.org
More information about the consulting