[consulting] Vancouver: Session on "costs of forking" / "Supporting Drupal core development"

Zack Rosen zack at civicspacelabs.org
Fri Feb 10 00:30:28 UTC 2006

Notes:

Training more developers
* people who come to Drupal in a haphazard fasion
* need to build an application and need a platform - ROR / Django
doesn't give me all, Drupal gives me everything
** hard to get ramped up and understand the architecture
** gotta go w/ the hype - screen casts, docs, etc.
** [ACTION ITEM] How do we make the nitty gritty interesting stuff in
Drupal apparent from the surface (Jon VanDyk writing a book), code
jams, conferences, screencasts etc, workgroup / training, host
committee for core developers, newbies.drupal.org (bring docs up to
center),

$$ for core development
* Zack's Spiel
* Josh, paid core dev. work is 'scary'. outside forces driving
development can be scary
* Not all people going to need to pay for core
* Should not be hard to raise money, just ask for it
* Adrian: we should go after research funding
* Gregory: bounties and sabbaticals
* Drupal most like KDE.  Set up a non profit / foundation to drive
Drupal

Drupa.org improvements
* How do we get a serice provider directory page?
* Sketch out a spec, figure out how to make it later:
   Serice Provider Directory
   - Firms
   - Developers
   - Referrals
   - Code commits
   - Portfolio of sites
   - Time (contractor, full time)
   - Experience
   - Feedback forum
   - Location
* [ACTION ITEM] Zack drives this, raises money, richard orris will
hack on it

-Zack