[consulting] Costs of forking

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Thu Feb 9 19:02:28 UTC 2006

John Handelaar wrote:
> Conversely...
>
> Here at the lower end of the food chain I've run into
> a bunch of people who hear all this and assume therefore
> that the site builder needs to do less work than she
> would building from scratch.  And therefore that this
> should be costing them less money, always, in all cases.
>
> Suck.
The difference is that they don't have to pay licensing on the code.
They own the code. And their site will not turn into a pumpkin in 2
years or whatever. That's the huge difference in cost, especially over time.

--

*Laura Scott*, President

pingVision <http://www.pingv.com/> | interactive media design

4450 Arapahoe Avenue, Suite 100