[consulting] Costs of forking

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Feb 9 21:26:11 UTC 2006

Op donderdag 09 februari 2006 20:10, schreef John Handelaar:
> I'm merely pointing out that there's a perceived
> weakness in presentation for us with a certain type
> of client - Ber's 'one shot and no foresight' crowd,
> mostly.
>
> Of course there's an argument to be made that you
> don't *want* that sort of client anyway

Well, the part that i left out (to make my point) is that these clients indeed
had that "one shot" plan, but nearly all of them got back after a while with
more plans, work or ideas.

My persuation, based indeed, on top of "but you can always hire one of my
collegues, if ever I turn successfull/unpayable" turned in reality into "hey,
we read about this and that new internetmeme (RSS in a very case) and we
would like to have that too. How much?"
me: "well, €50" (log in, enable the already installed syndication block).
So. Happy clients, happy me. Free beer. For nearly free, due to the OSS.

And the good part of this is that I found that the second (or third)
getogether was a good moment to tell them that all that goodness afterwards
came from a community called Drupal (they knew about Drupal, but obviously
never looked longer then 10 seconds at that site because it "is you we pay to
do all that".). And that they are now reaping the fruits of working with OSS.

Bèr