[consulting] and they call it drupalcamp

Gregory Heller gregory at civicactions.com
Thu Feb 23 07:34:04 UTC 2006

Not sure who said it but i think that regional is very important.  these
things will get easier the more they are done. and because all it takes
is the a room, a presenter or two and an organizer (and people and an
internet connection as dan said), they can happen close together (in
time) and geographically disbursed.

as far as profit goes, i don't think that anyone has any illusions about
these things costing money for the attendees.  They will have costs
associated with them: the time of the trainer(s) and the organizer(s),
cost of space, food, equipment, etc...

As long as the curriculum is Copy Left and grows with the camps, i don't
see any problem in people being compensated for their time.

It might makes sense for organizations to sponsor or seek sponsorship
for the camps, but they could also be completely participant supported.
I spent a fair amount of money on a 2 day training not long ago, and
considering that there is work aplenty, any investment in learning
drupal should be recouped rather quickly doing drupal deployment.

I think that a cost of $300 to $500 for two days f intensive training in
a class limited to perhaps 15 participants per instructor, max, is
reasonable.  That is $4500 to $7500 per class which should cover costs
and the time for instructors/organizers as well as might cover
additional cost for documentation and curriculum development.

Participants could pay their own way, or maybe be sponsored by a shop,
and would be responsible for their own housing.

Rich mentioned focused sessions, and that is also a good idea, it
probably makes sense to touch on more than just one focused area of
drupal development/deployment but focus on a particular facet.

Lastly, as Dan mentions: time is really of the essence.  If we planned
for a camp around the NTEN NTC it would be in the heart of Plone
country, but also not far from vancouver.  Airfare is not that bad to
Seattle, and there seems to be lots of housing.  Penguin Day is
currently scheduled for the 25th, but for some folks learning drupal
would be more important that the general PD activities, the training
could also take place on sunday and monday to accommodate PD.  or could
take place on monday (20th) and tuesday (21st) before NTC even begins.
or the weekend of the 18/19

-Gregory