[consulting] A defense for new users

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Sat Feb 25 00:26:45 UTC 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 1:33 PM, Kieran Lal wrote:

> Unfortunately, we are no longer able to make progress. The
> criticism from the most advanced users to build an interface that
> meets their needs over the needs of new users is too strong.   New
> users don't understand what "users" means, they don't understand
> what "content" means.  They have goals they want to accomplish and
> tasks they need to complete and those things are too obvious for
> the critics to tolerate because they know too much already.

When I describe Drupal to people, I explain that there is a definite
learning curve, but the biggest burden is on the people who do the
initial setup, configuration, IA, theming, etc.  I've always referred
to the people who do this as Drupal implementors.  This step can be
difficult and confusing, but it's usually better handled by an
experienced implementor.  2-8 hours of time from someone who is well-
versed in Drupal configuration can get you a site that would have
cost $20,000 5 years ago.

When I've configured Drupal for people, I usually turn off all of the
confusing stuff.  I provide admin access to only the functions
required by the site's owner to do what they need.  Sometimes they
can just add stories and edit existing pages.  When they're more
experienced, they get user administration or stats access.  Sometimes
they're still confused, but they're not nearly as overwhelmed as they
would be if I just untarred it and gave them the keys.

I think that the best course of action is to identify these common
functions and make them even easier, and possibly to group them
somehow so we can have a site admin's view (as opposed to the
current, implementor's view).  I think there's already some work in
this area.

The implementor's role may be phased out in favor of install profiles
and hosted solutions.  Maybe some of those implementors will write
content, documentation, or become subject matter experts :).  At that
point, work done on making the basic functions easy and navigable
will be even more valuable.

Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
http://www.pajunas.com

scalable web hosting and open source strategies