[consulting] A defense for new users

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sat Feb 25 01:08:00 UTC 2006

Though some people might misunderstand me (how would that be ;)) I love users.
Or better, love soving their problems. My GF is a rupal user too, that might
make a difference :)

No serious.

our latest startup, sympal, aimes at what the name promises a drupal for
simple people. I try to commit any code as soon as it is stable. And my first
mayor(ahem)  thing was "microcontent".

Yes. Fully aimed at the task-oriented people.
http://www.webschuur.com/node/522 shows how simple the module and the idea
is. But I have found untill now (three deployments) that such minor modules
can prove enourmous improvement. All twelve editors at the three sites
suddenly grokkend that block thing! Only because I made it task oriented
(node based).

But, the issue remains, as usually: users, devels, Drupal core? I developed a
small module. It does what I need, but *for my users*. IMO this proves that
usability is a) very case sensitive and b) solved ni a very personal way.

I have NEVER EVER received a request from any client to explan how this fancy
per-path block visibilty works, other then clients asking we wtf it was
about. Meaning, that I never got the request from any cleint to show *them*
how to make a block only appear here and not there. IT was either me
configurnig it, or no interest at all. So this node-based-skinned-off blocks
system works extremely well. It focuses on what I received most: 'how to
change the content/image of bloc foo'?

I am not saying we need this in core. I am saying that we need LESS of that
usable/specific stuff in there; and MORE of the hooks and APIs to allow
people like me (sorry) to develop modules that increas usability for their
specific case.

Bèr