[consulting] Re: [development] Let's join the efforts to make OSCOM thrive again

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sun Feb 26 23:05:13 UTC 2006

That other Bridging organisation, feedesktop.org is doing pretty well,
inbetween all the nuking and flaming. Why? Because IMO they host Real
Targets. (not saying OSCMS is not doing that, it is just less visible, have a
look at http://www.oscom.org/standards/)

What about moving our (drupal.orgs) MT2Drupal and PHPBB2drupal  conversion
stuff over to them.

That way OSCMS has:
a) real 'products' to market. After all collabation (and thus umbrella's) in
an OSS world run on code. And thriive on ideas that end in code. (IMO)
b) A good marketable, spotlight plan: get all the OS CMSes together. Allow
people to switch between them easier. And so becomes more visible. Visible in
the freedesktop.org way.

I have seen projects picked away from Drupal under my nose, simply because
these (tecically inferior) commercial products had a "name", and because they
were on fancy conferences where Drupal (nor Joomla, etc) were not.

In order to give Drupal such a name, we need to team up on that area with the
other OSS CMses and give our "group" such a name. Elbow ourselves, as group,
into these Fancy conferences,  tell the world that we exitst. Make the name
"Open Source CMS" a 'brand'.  For I am sure that more commericial Drupaleers
will be able to tell that eventhough the OS and Geek world know about us
(Drupal), a vast mayority of potential Drupal deployers/users have never even
heard of it. Might even have never heard of "the open source alternative".
Simply because we are too scattered and not offering a common denominator (or
at least for the outside world are not) OSCMS does that for us, and therfore,
really needs our love.

Thanks Gabor for bringing this up.

Bèr

 PGP ber at webschuur.com
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_webschuur.asc
 PGP berkessels at gmx.net
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_gmx.asc

Gebruik geen CVS, tenzij je zeker van je zaak bent:
 http://help.sympal.nl/gebruik_geen_cvs_tenzij_je_zeker_van_je_zaak_bent