[consulting] subcontract query

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Mon May 1 16:08:52 UTC 2006

We have a little (?) job requiring coding a little widget for
bookmarking blog posts and pulling in an abbreviated list via
javascript. The resulting display will be a list of 3-5 of the most
recently-tagged posts, and/or a random assortment from the last foo
posts. This will need to be able to scale rather big.

The client asked us to pull the "bookmarked" data from a table in the
Drupal database, but I'm afraid this would place a real burden on the
database, as the javascript calls will be installed on dozens of
other sites with daily cumulative traffic well into the hundreds of
thousands in the short run, larger in the long run. This is for a
start-up for-profit venture, so the usual free resources out there
would not be appropriate.

If anyone is interested in taking t his on, has ideas on how to
approach this, or knows of an existing service out there, please
contact me off-list. We're looking for an estimate, and will most
likely move on implementation this week.

Thanks!

Laura
laura at pingv.com

Laura Scott, President