[consulting] Use of groups.drupal.org

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Tue May 9 16:42:46 UTC 2006

> On 9-May-06, at 9:19 AM, Dan Robinson wrote:
>
>> I know that we've had the conversation about moving over to groups and
>> that the decision is to wait until the mail is ready.  I had an aha
>> moment yesterday working with groups.drupal.org.  Again, sorry if this
>> is old material but basically I was thinking - "who needs email
>> lists?".  I'm a huge proponent of the inbox as a productivity tool and
>> user interface - and in "list backed forums" in general.  As a matter of
>> fact I didn't think that groups.drupal.org would take off until we had
>> og2list going.  However I set up my RSS feeds for groups and it comes
>> into my mail client and I realized that basically I don't need much
>> more.  The only two things would be:
>
> Glad to see more people having the RSS epiphany. Drupal mailing lists
> are the only ones I participate in ... I'm a huge proponent of the
> feed reader as a productivity tool and user interface :P
>
>> a) Comments in the RSS feed - I am not an RSS guru so I don't know if
>> this would be possible (i'm sure that the comments could be exported - I
>> wonder about "threading" however).
>
> The "right" combination here from my POV is as follows:
> * proper subscription module that abstracts subscriptions from
> notification
> * choose to be notified using different methods for different
> subscriptions -- e.g. email, RSS, IM, SMS
as long as the "master" is RSS this should be simple.
> * for RSS "notification", have a single feed per user -- so all your
> subscribed to items could be retrieved via
> http://example.com/subscription/[uid]/feed
groups.drupal.org already does this.

> The subscription(s) module and commentRSS are part of the way there.
is that a module? (*looking*) -
> Securesite is needed so you can get access to node_access protected
> content.
my feed from groups.drupal.org is protected by my userid/pwd.

>> b) An inbound mail interface might be nice - and we already have that
>> capability with the mail command thingie.  Or maybe the "add new
>> comment" line would be fine.
>
> og2list handles this.
yeah - but there are significant issues still with the underlying use of
mail as the primary transport - RSS solves this.

>> I can see this being a long-term solution for my clients who want list
>> backed forums.
>
> Invest in og2list and you're there.
err.... actually this is a different approach...