[consulting] Use of groups.drupal.org

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue May 9 16:53:53 UTC 2006

On 9-May-06, at 9:42 AM, Dan Robinson wrote:

>> * choose to be notified using different methods for different
>> subscriptions -- e.g. email, RSS, IM, SMS
> as long as the "master" is RSS this should be simple.

The "master" is already captured in the database, which is how we can
generate the unread view using views.

>> * for RSS "notification", have a single feed per user -- so all your
>> subscribed to items could be retrieved via
>> http://example.com/subscription/[uid]/feed
> groups.drupal.org already does this.

Yep. Powered by views. But it doesn't include comments. As Moshe
said, make views comment-aware and we can do this. Probably don't
need commentRSS at all.

>> The subscription(s) module and commentRSS are part of the way there.
> is that a module? (*looking*) -

Both are modules, yes.

>> Securesite is needed so you can get access to node_access protected
>> content.
> my feed from groups.drupal.org is protected by my userid/pwd.

Which is powered by securesite -- it prompts for user/pass via HTTP
Basic Auth, so your feed reader "just works".

-- Boris