[consulting] CMS comparison

Nick Lewis nick at nicklewis.org
Wed May 10 06:41:02 UTC 2006

leighm at linuxbandwagon.com wrote:
> yes BUT
>

> As it stands there are three places joomla or mambo really stand above
> drupal
>
> - Excellent gallery support (uses some existing packages and you can
> get interconnectors
> from mambo/joomla to them, unlike drupal gallery2 which is a major hack)
>
> - Superior ecommerce support (ecommerce in drupal is relatively new)
>
> - Excellent forum support (uses some existing forum packages and you
> can get
> interconnectors from mambo/joomla to them)
>
> i think you'll find these points are hard to argue against
I suppose my point is that Drupal's clean code, exploding community of
developers, and the fact that it has an actual API makes drupal a far
better investment for someone who is looking to drop a few grand on a
CMS. From the marketing and sales perspective, its important to
emphasize that drupal's current shortcomings are more than compensated
by its long term promise.

True, gallery2-2-drupal is hackish -- and even gallery2, as one
potential client who I spoke to yesterday put it, is "Compared to
flickr, and other image handling services, a medieval solution ..."

Yet, I'd venture as far to say that mambo/joomla! as a whole is one big
hack. A hack sustained by a core of developers who've actually bothered
to understand the idiosyncrasies of the hack.

Yes, drupal's imagehandling, forums, and galleries are superior. But for
how long? That's my question...

Onward,
Nick Lewis
http://www.nicklewis.org