[consulting] CMS comparison

Neil McEvoy neil.mcevoy at ondemand-network.com
Wed May 10 18:41:48 UTC 2006

>  In my mind... the pathway involves some kind of API
>  that draws a line between what will change and what won't change.
>
>  And given the discussions on the development list, I don't
>  have a sense that drupal as a whole is ready to define an API.

If you don't mind, can you expand on this a bit? What does it involve,
what benefits would it bring and what would need to happen to make it so?
Hope that's on-list relevant.

There's a couple of areas that (I think) may be relevant, that I'm keen to
understand better:

- Drupal as a general tool for integrating with other apps; for example
there is a single sign-on module from Drupal to your email. What about
therefore using this module approach as a generalised way of integrating
with any other app?

- E.g. the kind of thing I'd like to look at is integrating with
commercial services such as BT's MMS upload
(http://www.agile-media.co.uk/mobile.htm). Ie enable community users to
send in photos via mobile phone.

Similarly, there is SXIP capability, I believe, which has SSO into
Salesforce.com, and so I think emphasising marketing/development around
these kinds of areas is one key way to define a more mature market
approach; offer sexy headline features that will attract corporate + other
interest.

Possibly totally irrelevant, so apologies, but that's what I understand
about API etc.

Regards, Neil.