[consulting] Issue tracking for clients

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue Oct 24 01:08:37 UTC 2006

On 10/23/06, Jenny Hsueh <lists at ondemand-network.com> wrote:

> We also thought about using OG and other Drupal modules, but it all seem
> to be a lot work to build something that is intuitive enough  for
> non-technical folks to report troubles.

There are multiple parts to this issue.

1) is for "end users" (define as you like...) to submit issues....a
bare email address like support at example.com is the clear winner here.
No thinking, just email :P Modules: none, just an email address

2) is for support / dev personal to track and respond to issues. i.e.
some system for support at example.com to get sucked into and to figure
out when something is open, closed, being dealt with, etc. Modules:
mailhandler -- what you do next depends on what you need to track.
Casetracker, views, some taxonomy terms for status.

3) is a project management space where "end users" aka clients are
active participants in the process. They expect to see *high level*
milestones, and have some general feedback and comments. Drupal is not
*quite* there yet, but you could do a lot with OG here. Add some CCK
with dates and views, plus generic "blog" postings plus some OG2List,
and you're close to Basecamp.

Some combination of Drupal modules can be used to solve different
parts of these issues. Other stuff like ActiveCollab is probably not
worth it, unless you want to dive into yet-another-codebase. Spending
the time on documenting a setup with Drupal and posting a site recipe
would be great...if you have that time to spare.

Cheers,

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747