[consulting] How do you receive payments?

Andrew Cohill cohill at designnine.com
Sun Sep 24 16:51:21 UTC 2006

For the person paying, Paypal is MUCH more convenient than a wire
transfer, which usually requires a visit to the bank and the time to
fill out a form by hand.

My bank charges $50 for an overseas wire transfer, so for amounts
under about $1200 USD, it is more expensive than Paypal for the payer.

For amounts under $1000 USD, I would much prefer to use Paypal to pay
bills, and would prefer that the consultant simply build the Paypal
cost into his or her base fee.

Andrew

On Sep 24, 2006, at 12:27 PM, Khalid B wrote:

>> I usually receive payments using Paypal which I think it's a really
>> good service. It is also available here in Italy.. so I can get money
>> from all the world.
>
> I also use Paypal as the main way of payment for new customers.
>
>> However their 3.4% quote is IMHO too much.
>
> That is true. But you can factor that in your quote for the work, or
> consider it a cost of business.
>
>> Moreover I think that paypal does not convert money currencies right.
>> Converting Dollars to Euro I always think that their conversion rate
>> is not good and lower that current Dollar-Euro quotations.
>
> That is also true. I find it very annoying.
>
> Paypal is a monopoly, with no viable alternative. Google Checkout is
> not a viable alternative yet.
>
> I tried iKobo as well. It works by issuing you a VISA Electron card
> that
> you can use in ATMs. It covers more countries, but also has high fees
> as well as a monthly fee too.
>
>> This is why I ask you some suggestions..
>>
>> Is paypal the only suitable payment way for remote working?
>> Are there other similar services usable?
>> What do you use?
>
> For customers who have proven themselves to be reliable and
> trustworthy,
> I take cheques. This avoids the Paypal fees, as well as get me a
> better
> exchange rate.
>
> Of course, this applies only for cheques from the USA and Canada,
> since
> those from other countries will incurr high fees.
>
> Bank transfers always work, but fees can be as high as $50 per
> transfer
> from some countries.

Andrew Michael Cohill, Ph.D.
President
Design Nine, Inc.

Design Nine provides visionary broadband architecture,
telecommunications and broadband master planning, and broadband
project management.

Visit the Technology Futures blog for frequently updated news and
commentary on technology issues.
  http://www.designnine.com/news/

http://www.designnine.com/
Blacksburg, Virginia