[consulting] Credit card donation/payment gateways

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Mon Apr 16 15:47:56 UTC 2007

Hello, all,

Over the next couple weeks I'll be setting up a payment gateway for a
client. They currently do not have the capability to accept payments via
credit card (ie, no pre-existing merchant account) but when their site
goes live in early May they would like people to be able to donate
online via a credit card.

My initial inclination is to set up a gateway via PayPal, and then
switch to a more permanent solution after the site launch.

So, my questions are:
1. Any recommendations for payment gateways? Anybody have a good
experience with a particular vendor they would like to share?
2. Any advice that I can pass on to our client as they set up the
merchant account/payment gateway? They will be doing this themselves,
and from what I can gather do not have a lot of experience setting this
up. I've set up gateways in the past, but it's been a while (maybe 12
months?) and I'd like some feedback from anyone who has done it more
recently/on a more regular basis.

This is for a client based in the US.

As always, thanks for your time/insight.

Cheers,

Bill

--
Bill Fitzgerald