[consulting] Drupal Certification and Requirements

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Dec 19 15:17:14 UTC 2007

Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> I agree. Would you ask Earl Miles or me some piece of paper? Your code
> speaks better than a piece of paper...

That theory works only so long as Drupal remains niche rather than
mainstream.

If/when Drupal people need to get hired by large organizations, the
initial job for finding employees is made by human resources staff.
These people wouldn't know the name "Richard Stallman", let alone "Earl
Miles"; today they need a programmer, tomorrow they will be hiring for
the warehouse. Their role is to perform the first level of determining
qualifications; it is at this initial stage where certifications, rather
than peer respect, are useful.

One is always welcome to assert that they'd never work for companies
with such awful hiring practices. Again, so long as demand outstrips
supply this is a non-issue.

- Evan