[consulting] Drupal Certification and Requirements

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Wed Dec 19 17:29:55 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> initial job for finding employees is made by human resources staff.
> These people wouldn't know the name "Richard Stallman", let alone "Earl
> Miles"; today they need a programmer, tomorrow they will be hiring for
> the warehouse. Their role is to perform the first level of determining
> qualifications; it is at this initial stage where certifications, rather
> than peer respect, are useful.
This is a moot point, as it is true for hiring for any skillset. The
people actively using that skillset are usually the best people to
determine an applicant's competence and fit for the job. The role of HR
is generally to weed out the obviously unqualified. This is just as true
for Drupal talent as it is for MS Windows Server admins as it is for
window washers.

A certification tells me more about a person's approach to learning and
how they view their role in the marketplace than anything else. I've
interviewed/met plenty of people who had the certificate for skill X,
yet when asked to apply the skills they supposedly learned during
certification, they were unable to do so. Cerifications are used to weed
out people, but that should not be confused with a certificate actually
meaning anything when it comes down to getting real work done.

Cheers,

Bill

--
Bill Fitzgerald