[consulting] Drupal Certification and Requirements

Liam McDermott liam at intermedia-online.com
Fri Dec 21 13:28:52 UTC 2007

Ashraf Amayreh wrote:
> Certificates are plain waste of time and effort. Especially with things
> like the test king that make idiots top scorers, it simply is a waste of
> time. Worse yet is certificates which are expensive enough to prevent
> some people from getting. To top all that, they simply concentrate on
> memory rather than problem solving skills which is what really
> distinguishes a good developer from a book worm.
In the case of a normal certification yes, we're not talking about a
normal certification process though. Please read the posts you're
replying to before weighing in with your own views. :)

> In case of drupal expertise, just look for someone with
> contributions such as modules or patches to modules or core. It's that
> simple.
This, in my opinion, would be what a Drupal certification would consist
of. The examinee would be given particular contributions to make that
would exercise their abilities at Drupal concepts. The examiner checks
whether they made any bad mistakes (and not too many minor mistakes) and
they get certification.

To be honest the more I think about it though, the more I think it
sounds like the McDonalds star system: 'Oooh, look I got my FAPI star!'
That's not a good thing, but it would allow employers to easily find
developers with the required skill set.

Kind Regards,
Liam McDermott.