[consulting] copyright policies

David Norman davidn at cgraphics.com
Thu Jan 24 13:57:06 UTC 2008

Robert Garrigós Castro wrote:
> I'm having a bit of an issue with a new employer on the copyright of the
> code I will write for them and I wonder what copyright policies other
> freelance drupal developers have.
>
> I tend to ask to keep authorship of the code and have my name into the
> code as the author, although I yield all other rights to the employer.
> Is this a normal procedure for anybody else? Are you having similar
> conflicts with the businesses hiring you as developers and their
> copyright policies?

Before I start a contract, I ask if the code I write will be private and
proprietary to the organization (therefore not mine) or if it may be
released to the public on drupal.org (GPL). If you want to sway them
towards GPL, point out the community can take over maintenance and
upgrades to later versions of Drupal for free in many cases. That
usually creates the right frame of mind as to not have any confusion on
either side.