[consulting] copyright policies

DragonWize dragonwize at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 19:21:10 UTC 2008

GPL and open source has their advantages and disadvantages as does
proprietary systems. Each developer/company has to look at the cost,
benefit, and final value the different styles will have for them. For
the clients that have a problem with Client B getting access to Client
A's code they paid for then open source is probably not for them.

However, some companies are starting to come around to the value that
open source has. Look at Sony and Warner Bros., I am sure they are
each using drupal code that they them and other music people have
created and committed back to the project.

Open source is not for everyone but for those that it is good for
understand that Client B may get their code for free but are willing
to take that chance for the benefits offered in return.

Alan

On Jan 24, 2008 2:07 PM, Kevin Amerson <kevin.amerson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes that's a good point Boris, saying that something is GPL and available
> for the public is quite different than actually following that and making it
> publicly available.  I hope that the latter is the case here.
>
>  Kevin
>

> On Jan 24, 2008 12:35 PM, Boris Mann <boris at bryght.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 24-Jan-08, at 9:00 AM, Kevin Amerson wrote:
> >
> > Does the non-compete cover this scenario?
> >
> > Client A pays you for a solution to problem A that directly ties to their
> business.  You retain the ability to reuse the code as you stated.
> >
> > Client B is a direct competitor to Client A and comes to you for a
> solution to the same problem.
> >
> > You gladly hand them the same code tailored to them.
> >

> > Or rather, after Client A, you submit it to Drupal.org with sponsorship
> from Client A.
> >

> > Client B wants extra functionality. You add it, and Client A gets it "for
> free".
> >

> > Who is competing with who?  In essence, Client A just paid to help out
> their competitor, Client B.
> >
> > I was a consultant for over 4 years and never under any circumstances
> would we be allowed to reuse a solution built for one client for another
> client.  We were expensive, however, the client kept everything always.
> >

> > --
> > Boris Mann
> > Office 604-682-2889
> > http://www.bryght.com