[consulting] copyright policies

Sean Burlington sean at burlington.me.uk
Sat Jan 26 12:29:40 UTC 2008

paola.dimaio at gmail.com wrote:

> When the bricklayer will work for this project, he will use his bricks, and
> his standard techniques,  and will learn new skills, and acquire new
> knowledge that before he did not have
> He will not be at liberty to reuse the unique architecture which in turn
> supports my unique
> service. That does not mean that it will not give other good ideas

but developing a Drupal site isn't analogous to laying bricks!

- and I think this is the source of at least part of the conflict -
managers see the development work as just an implementation of their concept

- whereas many developers feel that they do far more than this and often
  contribute a great deal to the business model as well as providing a
lot of creative input.

What I don't get is why this seems to be taken as a moral issue - surely
it's just about negotiating terms - price and licensing are just two
issues among many.

Both sides have a vested interest in the work developed beyond the
initial project - I guess what's hard about negotiating a settlement is
agreeing who contributed how much when working together.

interesting debate ...

--

Sean Burlington
www.practicalweb.co.uk