[consulting] copyright policies

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 11:54:27 UTC 2008

Hi Alan

I see this has turn into an interesting discussion, and the possibility are
endless

I donT own the brick, and I dont own the bricklaying techniques, but I may
want to
build a hotel with unique featuers, that no other hotel in the world has
built before, that will give me a commercial advantage over other hotels,
and that I am investing some resources in, in order to establish a source of
income for me and my family (this is an entirely fictional scenario btw)

When the bricklayer will work for this project, he will use his bricks, and
his standard techniques,  and will learn new skills, and acquire new
knowledge that before he did not have
He will not be at liberty to reuse the unique architecture which in turn
supports my unique
service. That does not mean that it will not give other good ideas

I am not saying this is not tricky. I am saying that when I hire a
bricklayer and benefit from his skill, I need to be in agreement that he is
not going to sell nor apply my unique design which supports my unique
service which for me  represents  an economic advantage
to another business next to me, or anywhere in the same 'market' which could
reasonably diminish the benefits that I can derive from the effort.

Otherwise I ll tear the life out of him (metaphorically)

So the bottom line is a clear, neat understanding of what each other party
wants to get out of the deal, and a honest to god cross my heart I ll never
do that.
Then you take your chances....

and btw I am not in business, I am in education. I cannot live with the
level of stress
:-)

cheers
PDM