[consulting] copyright policies

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Fri Jan 25 17:52:56 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Kevin Amerson wrote:

> I've been on both sides of the fence, and you have  to come to the
> realization that if you're hired as a contractor to build something
> for someone else, then they own it

In the US, this is true only if the contract specifically states it's
a "work for hire." I see some folks do enter into work-for-hire
contracts, but it's not something we will do.

It seems that this discussion is a bit fuzzy about what is
intellectual property vs. "knowhow." An absurd case is that you learn
on a job how to work with Drupal hooks, and your employer owns that
knowhow and you cannot work with Drupal hooks on any other job. GPL
or no GPL, that is unenforceable, isn't it?

Laura