[consulting] Internet Strategist at Trellon

Michael Haggerty mhaggerty at trellon.com
Tue Sep 16 15:35:38 UTC 2008

Trellon is an Internet strategy and development firm. We are seeking
qualified Internet Strategists to join our elite Drupal development
team. Please direct all inquiries to jobs at trellon.com. Please include
a cover letter, resume, and statement of salary requirements.

What This Job is About

Internet Strategists are part of a cross-functional team charged with
crafting the strategy to meet the needs and business objectives of our
clients. Here's what we expect them to do.

1) Set the strategy for web development projects. You will be taking
part in developing proposals and budgets and working closely with
other players in the delivery process to ensure a common understanding
of goals and requirements.

2) Interact with clients to analyze requirements and ensure the
delivery of optimal solutions. The idea is to validate our approach
through thoughtful, timely production of project materials, which
includes conceptualizing and developing user experience plans
including taxonomies, site mapping, information architecture and
wireframes.

3) Identify, understand and exploit innovations and new technologies
to enhance Trellon's solutions. Basically, we want you to be aware of
what is going on and speak up when you see opportunities for us to
improve the kinds of solutions we deliver.

4) Take responsibility for the ongoing development of Trellon.com
through contributions of original material about the company, our
solutions, and our activities as a company. This includes managing
contributions to the company blog, creating original materials for the
website at the direction of company leadership, analyzing web metrics
and recommending strategies for new development.

Who We Are Looking For

The proposals, strategy and tactics we deliver are a big part of what
distinguishes Trellon from other firms out there. There are some
characteristics we are looking for on the part of our Internet
strategists:

1) Knowledge of common strategies and tactics in Web 2.0, social media
and open source technology. Our clients are primarily non-profits and
it is important to understand how groups are using technology to
advance their organizational missions (and why they would want to).
This includes being knowledgeable about other common technology
platforms such as DIA, Kintera, Joomla, Ning, etc.

2) Strong reading and writing skills, and the ability to execute in a
timely fashion. Your technical writing skills are not as important as
being able to pick up on what a project is really all about and
thoughtfully put together a plan to address it that tells the story
about why this approach will be successful. The word 'boilerplate'
makes us antsy.

3) The ability to interact with clients in the collection of
requirements, review of staged deliverables, modification of scope,
and ongoing discussions about project strategy. New challenges
inevitably arise during the delivery process, and Internet Strategists
are changed with understanding how it all fits together.

4) The ability to interact directly with affiliated communities
through the publication of blogs and other content on Trellon.com as
well as attendance at various community events. Internet Strategists
at Trellon are expected to maintain a high profile and be conversant
in a variety of subjects.

5) The ability to work without direct supervision, to make use of
automated project management tools, to diligently record your hours in
the timekeeping system, and to keep others aware of your schedule for
planning purposes.

We will give special consideration to people with the following:

1) Demonstrated ongoing expertise in social media and open source. If
you keep a blog, run workshops, attend industry events, or otherwise
participate in the industry in a big, visible way, we want to talk to
you.

2) Experience running a large social media website for a non-profit or
online publisher. Many of our best ideas are based on years of
experience working with clients and helping them through the
challenges they encounter day-to-day.

3) Public speaking and presentation skills. While this is not a
marketing position, an ideal candidate is someone who actively
participates in the open source community on behalf of the company.

Why People Like to Work at Trellon

Trellon does things a little different from other companies...

1) You work from home on your own schedule. Trellon is a virtual
company, there's no boss looking over your shoulder telling you to
turn off Oprah.

2) You get to make the world a nicer place. Our clients include non-
profits and other worthwhile organizations who are looking to do all
sorts of great things.

3) You get to learn something new. We have a fantastic team of smart
people, all of whom enjoy sharing their knowledge, and our projects
tend to be cutting edge affairs that involve unique, sophisticated
technology challenges.

4) You get to attend community events throughout North America and
Europe to talk about your great ideas. We find lots of ways to help
people stay at the top of their game.

How to Apply

Please direct all inquiries to jobs at trellon.com. Please include a
cover letter, resume, and statement of salary requirements.

Who We Are

Trellon is an Internet strategy and development firm specializing in
advanced web 2.0 and social media solutions that include web portals,
desktop widgets, facebook applications, mobile applications, CRM
systems and strategic consulting solutions. Our solutions take the
form of content management systems, online communities, contact
management applications, social networks, e-commerce portals, and
specialized 'niche' applications.

Trellon has built a reputation for delivering robust solutions on
tight timeframes. We help groups align their social media strategies
with their organizational goals, articulate the plan for how to
achieve optimal results, and deliver cost effective, sustainable
solutions on open platforms.  Founded in 2004, we have deployed a
whopping 200+ web sites over the past 4.5 years, ranging in size from
small regional concerns to high traffic, national web presences. Our
clients include non-profits, NGOs, political campaigns, socially
responsible commercial concerns, and media.

Trellon has a strong history in the open source and social media
communities. The founders were key players in the Draft Clark movement
and Clark for President campaign, online efforts to elect a
presidential candidate primarily leveraging the Internet for support.
We developed advanced social media strategies to engage millions of
grassroots supporters nationwide and still draw from these experiences
in every project we deliver. Trellon has a tradition of giving back to
the communities we serve, and devotes over 10% of company development
time each month contributing back to the Drupal and CiviCRM platforms
through patches, code releases, publications, evangelism, webinars,
and direct support of new users.

In terms of corporate philosophy, Trellon believes in the immense
value of open source software and open standards. Nothing is worse
than being locked into a particular platform primarily designed to
protect a business model instead of engaging in true innovation.
Portable information that can be consumed by multiple devices
independent of platform and flexible, extensible methods for
publishing / accessing content offer better solutions for the way
people use technology today. These characteristic features of open
systems provide the basis for building an economy of knowledge,
allowing people and systems to 'talk' in unique and meaningful ways
while building value through their interactions. Our work as a company
is an expression of this philosophy.