[consulting] Tracking readership via RSS

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Tue Apr 7 05:57:26 UTC 2009

Hello, all,

Thanks for the feedback -- this is about what I was expecting -- I have
had a few clients ask about alternatives to Feedburner lately -- my
standard response has been what some people stated in this thread: rss
metrics are imprecise at best, and are best used within the context of
tracking usage patterns, as opposed to absolute usage numbers --

What feedburner used to offer was the appearance of a real number -- but
even that was always imprecise. But, given feedburner's flakiness for
the last couple years, people are finally getting sick of it.

What I was really wondering was if someone on this list had found a
metric or tool of which I wasn't aware -- at the risk of stating the
obvious, I've been down the Google road several times over the last few
months, and the lack of anything especially useful was part of what
sparked my question to the list.

And, for managing my own rss consumption, I use a Drupal-based site
running the FeedAPI -- what other tool would you need?

Cheers,

Bill

--

Bill Fitzgerald