[consulting] General consultant's vent

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Aug 6 04:48:27 UTC 2009

Amen ...

Another old timer here.

COBOL stood for COmmon Business Oriented Language. It was hyped just like
Java or Ruby in their time. One of the selling points is that it was an
English like language that allowed managers to write programs themselves,
and eliminate the need for programmers!

When SQL was invented, it was also hyped for the English like syntax, and
that it will allow managers to write queries themselves, with no need for
programmers.

Look back and see who used COBOL, and look now who uses SQL : hint!
Programmers.

Then 4GLs came by ...

Then IDEs that allowed you to create buttons and widgets right there from a
GUI ...

The more things change the more they stay the same.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Ayen Designs <info at ayendesigns.com> wrote:

> Personally, I've been doing software for 30 years, and have been hearing
> about the developer going away ever since the first '4th Generation
> Language.'  It simply won't happen. Anything that can account for every
> client's wishes would simply be too bloated and abstracted to be of any use.
> As it is, I make more money modifying Drupal sites right now than I do with
> scratch sites. It has only cut down on development requirement with regards
> to content management (which not every site is) and the admin panel
> development no the back-end to support it, but not on the modifications that
> clients need. It's been an income boost.  I think what my story really shows
> is that clients still don't know anything about software, but think, more
> and more, that they do.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com