[consulting] General consultant's vent

Dave Terry dave.terry at mediacurrent.com
Thu Aug 6 19:04:19 UTC 2009

+ 1 on enjoying the discussion thus far.  I think Domenic hit the nail on
his head with his legal analogy.  The legal industry, while mostly despised
J,  has really figured it out - if you go to visit a lawyer there is an
expectation that the first 15 minutes to an hour is free while the details
of the case are discussed, discovery, etc. but anything beyond that is
billable time.  In the tech sector, the buyer usually does not understand
the value or benefits of the services that are being provided.  However, if
you walk into a law firm there is an understanding that there are varying
levels of expertise (i.e. a senior partner bills more than a newly minted
law school grad), and more importantly the client gets "it.".  Conversely,
Drupal/tech customers can't comprehend the subjective nature of our rates
and why 3 developers may charge 3 different  prices - its partially their
fault, but we need to do a better job of how we position and market
ourselves to avoid these constant fee fights.   There is a reason why the
Lullabots or Acquias of the Drupalsphere charge on the high side - not only
have they earned the street cred, but really done a wonderful job at
positioning themselves in the public market.  In Acquia's case it certainly
helps that Dries is the co-founder.  Understandably though, they are viewed
as the "senior partners" in the firm.  There will always be a sliding scale
of economics at work, but don't lose sight of the fact that marketing is a
big part of your consultancy.

Dave

Mediacurrent