[consulting] "Page" Content-type Needs Renaming for Usability Reasons... Suggestions?

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 10:19:56 UTC 2009

This seems like a labeling problem, and one tends to be searching around in
one's mind for the "right" word.
However, like many other things, the answer is outside our heads, not
inside.

This problem, which is actually very important, is an important part of the
early steps in the software development process itself.

It is called "finding a common language".  (ie. with the client).

The answer to this question is to be found in the naming of the client's
real business objects, the atoms of her application, the things of value
sought by the users who come to the site.

And ultimately in the answering of the question "what is the metaphor of
this site?".

So if we want to make a site where parents can volunteer to tutor kids in a
school, we are going to have "class" rather than "event".

If it is a school newspaper, then we are going to have "article" instead of
"story"; or not.

I look to the semantic analysis of what the virtual world being created on
the site.

As to page, I usually do not give permissions to anyone for page; I use it
for last ditch necessities, for site glue.

Very interesting topic.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar
http://projectflowandtracker.com