[consulting] Drupal Certification

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Fri Aug 7 13:37:16 UTC 2009

Hello, all,

Personally, I'm of the opinion that a certification program would be
completely useless, and that the certifications would be worth less than
the paper they were printed on. I articulated some of these reasons a
while back; most of these reasons remain unchanged:
http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/consulting/2007-December/002267.html

But, with that said, nothing is stopping any shop from creating and
managing a certification program. The catch with any credentialing
program, however, is that the issue body needs to have some credibility.
If Shop X starts issuing a "Drupal Uber-Ninja Certification Program"
it's not going to mean much, except that maybe Shop X talked to some
marketing and Biz-dev folks and came up with a catchy name for a program
that might make them some money. The value of that credential will
decrease rapidly over time (if indeed it ever had any value to start
with), simply because Drupal development practice evolves rapidly over time.

So, if there are shops out there who want to start a certification
program, by all means, go ahead. Nothing is stopping any shop from doing
this. The challenge will be in having the value of that credential mean
anything.

Personally, I don't care about tech credentials or certifications; I've
met far too many * Certified people that I wouldn't trust to get me
coffee -- but then again, I'm pretty picky with my coffee.

Cheers,

Bill