[consulting] Drupal workers' interests [was Drupal Certification]

Sami Khan sami at etopian.net
Mon Aug 10 18:37:11 UTC 2009

Ayen Design,

I am not sure what your name is so I will refer to you with your
corporate name. First of all, we are not consumers of Drupal services,
perhaps you are, but I am not. We provide services and I would love to
argue from the point of view of the consumer for the music business, the
cable television business, the mobile telephone business and so on, each
of which have a monopoly or semi-monopoly on providing those products or
services which protects their business model and profits...

The fact is those businesses exist and the reason that they exist is a
monopoly. A monopoly on labour is called a union, it protects the
business of providing labour for profit and protects the business model
of that labour. The point is not that it benefits consumers, but it
benefits individuals where monopolies benefit companies. They make the
market less efficient and guarantee profits for individuals, just like
monopolies do for companies. They also attempt to protect the business
model in so many ways so that the business stays profitable.

Labours have been shown through academic research to:
- Keep employees away from the mercy of managers through a binding
contract.
- Provide higher wages to the workers.
- Provide better benefits.
- Provide better health and safety for their patrons.
- Provide a sense of community.
- Provide education for their patrons.

They could provide other things as well, if the workers agree that they
should be provided.

Regards,
Sami