[consulting] Iframe tags placed on index.php files attack possible solution

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 17:52:26 UTC 2009

I agree it's not mysterious, but I'm not sure it's SQL Injection.
Code added to your index.php file requires the ability to edit the
file.  It may be the result of a SQL Injection that was then leveraged
to do a series of other things to ultimately gain file access and edit
the index.php, but it's not on the face SQL Injection.  While it is
possible that the root-cause was SQL Injection, the most likely cause
of this is, as the original poster mentioned, someone getting server
login credentials (e.g. FTP) or an insecure setup on a shared host.

It is possible that someone used SQL Injection to add JavaScript into
the footer, the mission, a node body, etc.  Many Anti Virus programs
will identify that as a malicious script in "index.php" if you do not
have clean urls and use URLs like "index.php?q="   SQL Injection in
general is not particularly common in Drupal:

http://crackingdrupal.com/blog/greggles/what-kinds-security-problems-exist-drupal

Also, there is a group for discussion of "Security Best Practices" at
http://groups.drupal.org/security-scanner-component-and-best-practices

Cheers,
Greg

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Cary Gordon<listuser at chillco.com> wrote:
> Those aren't all that mysterious. Those are SQL injection attacks that use
> .js to pull all sorts of fun tricks. The only solution is to either do a
> database restore or write a script to remove these from your database.
> Keeping your site up to date with the latest security releases and
> patches greatly reduces your vulnerability to such attacks.
>
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:10 PM, rajasekharan <websweetweb at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Drupalers,
>>
>> You may have heard or even experienced the attack where some mysterious
>> iframe tags are placed right after the
>> login.php and footer.php.
>> This even causes the php files to break as the iframe tags are placed
>> randomly within the index.php file (failing to find the <body> tag)
>> resulting in
>> php errors.
>>
>> The attack causes your website to be blacklisted and marked as an attack
>> site in the search engines. Even the web browsers
>> scare people away from visiting the site with nice blood red alert signs
>> (not that I blame them).
>>
>> This problem exists for users of all content management systems such as
>> wordpress, phpbb, joomla, fauxBB and so on. I might have the solution to
>> this problem.
>>
>> The problem starts at the website owner's computer being infected with
>> some virus. The virus listens to the FTP transactions and relays the
>> FTP information to someone else. Most attack victims have reported having
>> used FileZilla so the virus may even be finding and reading
>> FileZilla's xml/registry database (or may simply be a conincidence).
>>
>> The attacker uploads a PHP file to the server and starts executing it and
>> immediately removes it. I was unable to find any offending script in one of
>> my clients'
>> websites where the attack had taken place. The malicious script is
>> (probably) running as a background process (may be using ignore_user_abort
>> or similar) while the script file has been deleted (which is possible in
>> linux). This is why sometimes the offending code return to the pages inspite
>> of the FTP password being changed. But the attack always stops after the
>> server has been restarted. I am
>> still not certain if the background process theory is correct as I have
>> not been able to verify it yet.
>>
>> The only solution I can think of is to change the password and restart the
>> server. If the server is in a shared host, it may be possible to kill the
>> offending script's process. You can find out if there are any php threads
>> running for a long time via SSH using the ps -aux command and
>> kill it using kill [procid].
>>
>> Please let the list know if you face the same problem.
>>
>> Raj Sekharan
>> http://www.expeditionpost.com

> Cary Gordon
> The Cherry Hill Company
> http://chillco.com

Greg Knaddison | 303-800-5623 | http://growingventuresolutions.com
Cracking Drupal - Learn to protect your Drupal site from hackers
Now available from Wiley http://crackingdrupal.com