[consulting] Trademark policy

George D. DeMet demet at palantir.net
Wed Aug 12 20:30:03 UTC 2009

That's exactly correct, in order for the word Drupal to lose its
trademark protection through becoming genericized, the word would need
to become so widely used that people no longer recognized it as only
referring to a specific product, but as a common term for any similar
product.  Some examples of words that have become genericized in this
way and lost their trademark protection include Aspirin (still a
trademark in Canada and many European countries, but not the U.S.),
escalator, pilates, yo-yo, and Zipper.

The biggest concern about allowing too many folks to use the word Drupal
in the absence of any established trademark policy is that it could lead
to the dilution of the mark, i.e., so many people are using it for so
many things that the mark loses some of its distinctiveness, increasing
the likelihood of consumer confusion.  This is primarily a concern for
nationally well-known or "famous" marks, like Coca-Cola; while the
Drupal name is not (yet) well-known among the general populace, arguably
it is a famous mark among those who are familar with content management
systems and Web software in general.  So while I suppose one technically
could try to use the word "Drupal" to refer to something completely
unrelated to Web software or communications like, say, a brand of
kitchen sink, I still wouldn't recommend it. ;-)

Bottom line is that trademark law exists to protect the consumer.  If
someone uses the word "Drupal" in a way that could confuse consumers
about the origin of the product or service being offered, then they
should be asked to stop doing so.

- George