[consulting] At what percentage do you think most new sites will stop supporting IE6?

Christoph Weber cwebersd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 15:20:52 UTC 2009

Safari is a standards-compliant browser (for the most part, anyway)
and hence supporting it ought to be a non-issue. Furthermore, its v.3
and v.4 are current and supported, regardless of statistics
percentage.

IE6 is not standards-compliant by any stretch of the imagination. It
has been superseded by IE7 and IE8 which are incrementally better.
These two facts change the whole equation: Support of IE6 is only
driven by usage statistics, and there is the temptation to nudge
remaining users by delivering a degraded experience.

As to your original question: The decision whether to fully or
partially support IE6 rests entirely with the site owner and project
manager, and largely depends on the target audience. As a
developer/designer we can only supply facts and arguments supporting a
for/against decision.

My approach is to make my sites first pass all (or most) standards
validations and then worry about IE in its various incarnations.

I despise with a passion sites coded to support specific, named
browsers (with the exception of IE workarounds). We have standards for
a reason.

My 2 cts.
Christoph