[consulting] At what percentage do you think most new sites will stop supporting IE6?

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Thu Jun 18 15:27:08 UTC 2009

On 06/18/2009 11:20 AM, Christoph Weber wrote:
> Safari is a standards-compliant browser (for the most part, anyway)
> and hence supporting it ought to be a non-issue. Furthermore, its v.3
> and v.4 are current and supported, regardless of statistics
> percentage.

I never suggested Safari needed extra work to make a site work well with
it. However, many of my clients explicitly specify that the site needs
to be compliant with it, even at a 5% market share. IE6 is that much
more important to them with a 15-25% market share.
> IE6 is not standards-compliant by any stretch of the imagination. It
> has been superseded by IE7 and IE8 which are incrementally better.
> These two facts change the whole equation: Support of IE6 is only
> driven by usage statistics, and there is the temptation to nudge
> remaining users by delivering a degraded experience.
>
> As to your original question: The decision whether to fully or
> partially support IE6 rests entirely with the site owner and project
> manager, and largely depends on the target audience. As a
> developer/designer we can only supply facts and arguments supporting a
> for/against decision.

This totally misses my original question - at what point do you imagine
the site owners / project managers will stop worrying about IE6?