[consulting] oDesk

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Tue May 5 19:32:08 UTC 2009

> The attempt by you of posting here in order to normalize and pass off as
> perfectly acceptable a power "master"/"slave" relationship between those
> selling and purchasing labor power needs to be denounced, as several here on
> this thread already have.
>
> I believe personally that it is brazen of you to defend sweat shop
> conditions, where you as a purchaser of labor power get to pry into the
> private screen of someone selling their labor power to you!

Who said anything about sweatshop conditions?  I think its unfair of you to
accuse Matt of that.

He's simply trying to make sure that the folks he hires are working. Every
employer in the world does that, and in remote work environments, it's
particularly important.

 As free individuals they can chose not to accept that type of monitoring.

I wouldn't work under those conditions right now, because I have plenty of
work.

But if I really needed the work and the condition was that I would be
monitored, I would take it.

I hardly see that as slavery -- it's just being held accountable.

There is an enormous amount of  real suffering in the world by those who
work in slavery or under sweatshop conditions.  You do them a disservice by
equating their condition with an Odesk worker having their computer
monitored.

Sam