[consulting] SF DrupalCon Proposal is During Passover Seders

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Tue May 12 23:19:07 UTC 2009

Nancy and all,

Nancy's impulse and warmth are lovely, I appreciate the sentiment, and
actually I myself am a Drupal developer who is ALSO a rabbi! But I wouldn't
be there if it were held on Passover. And anyway, part of the power of
Passover is that you don't need a rabbi to do it, it is a home holiday where
people lead themselves.

I think one of the issues many of us are facing in a very compelling 24/7
industry where collaboration and work is constant -- is the ability to shut
down the digital time and make real time for family. Passover is just such
an opportunity for Jewish folks in the Drupal community (and Drupal folks
who have partners that are Jewish) to let go of work and go back home for
what in many cases is an inter generational family reunion in addition to a
religious holiday.

So Nancy, I appreciate the sentiment but don't think it addresses the issue.

As Bill and George both mentioned, the SF proposal is just a proposal. I'm
not freakin' out or anything, just want to make this feedback as timely as
possible.

Thanks for the support,

Shai