[consulting] Professionalism

Michael Prasuhn mike at mikeyp.net
Tue Nov 24 19:27:24 UTC 2009

On Nov 24, 2009, at 10:46 AM, Greg Holsclaw wrote:
> I think Sam has it right on. I have passed on a large project to
> Trellon as bandwidth would not allow my full attention, and as a
> project manager TopNotchThemes bounced me to a freelance themer who
> has worked out very well for me.
>
> I think it is unfortunate in the Drupal ecosystem if big players
> just bid up a project out of the budget of a potential client
> instead of seeking to bounce them to an appropriately sized firm.
>
> PS. I have rightly spent over a week on one node template before.
> Many ‘feature requests’ can hide in the shadows of PSDs or
> wireframes (‘fax this page’ functionality as small as a simple
> button ….).
>
> Greg

I'd have to agree with this, and for the most part, I'd defend the
larger firm with the bigger quote. We don't really know the whole
story here, and that firm may have advised that client against them
taking the project, but the client may have insisted on a bid anyway.
For larger firms there is much more overhead to allow them to deal
with much larger projects, and when someone asks them for a quote for
something so small, many times they aren't interested in taking it,
and bid appropriately so that it will be worthwhile for them if the
client does go with them. I also see many folks asking us for bids and
telling us we are too expensive up front, but still asking for the
bids because they need a minimum numbers or bids/estimates to turn in.
When that happens, the bigger, more well known companies are an ideal
target for "one more estimate."

-Mike