[consulting] Professionalism

Greg Holsclaw greg at t2media.com
Tue Nov 24 18:46:25 UTC 2009

I think Sam has it right on. I have passed on a large project to Trellon as
bandwidth would not allow my full attention, and as a project manager
TopNotchThemes bounced me to a freelance themer who has worked out very well
for me.

I think it is unfortunate in the Drupal ecosystem if big players just bid up
a project out of the budget of a potential client instead of seeking to
bounce them to an appropriately sized firm.

PS. I have rightly spent over a week on one node template before. Many
'feature requests' can hide in the shadows of PSDs or wireframes ('fax this
page' functionality as small as a simple button ..).

Greg

Sam wrote:

.This goes the other way too.  Freelancers who have really big sites come
their way, should sometimes pass them on to larger companies who are more
capable of handling it -- and the larger companies should be passing the
small jobs and sites to the freelancers and small shops.

Sam

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Nancy Wichmann <nan_wich at bellsouth.net>
wrote:
Fred Jones wrote:
> hired a fancy NYC company ... custom node template, based on a PSD.

That seems pretty darned expensive to me. When I worked at IBM, nothing
could be done by one person. You had to have an account manager, project
manager, architect, QA, etc. Each had his/her own hours to bill, and none
would be as low as $100/hr. However, that still seems quite high to theme a
node, but I've never worked with a PSD. I've done several node type
templates and not even my first one when I had to learn took 33 hours. If
they have to do some hooks to make sure variables are available, it could
easily take more than 3 hours, but nowhere close to 33.

Nancy E. Wichmann, PMP
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. -- Dr. Martin L. King,
Jr.