[consulting] VPS? [was D7 side effects on the Development list]

LPCA lpca.sol at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 00:34:14 UTC 2010

Try Linode for VPS. their services are vastly superior than mass
shared-hosting providers like 1and1 or godaddy etc...
The service is very reliable and affordable. The UI for admins is great.
You can clone the VPS into new VPS, form a cluster, upgrade each VPS
independently to a new VPS plan, add memory, IPs, backup, etc.

Each VPS can have it's own partitions set, unlike in some providers
where you are stuck to one partition. There's support also for multiple
OS/profiles per VPS, rescue OS and rescue SSH box.
They also provide a free decent DNS service. And you can even set up new
logins for your clients, to give them certain permissions on Linode's
admin UI, for example, to create new DNS records for a certain domain.

As for control panel software, Webmin+Usermin+Virtualmin GPL is a
opensource/free software solution, with zero cost on the software
itself, only requiring either general linux knowledge from the user
installing it or a linux IT professional to deploy it.

Webmin provides the panel to manage the machine, Usermin provides the
panel for mail and other data and Virtualmin provides the panel for
virtual server / hosting management, for both admins and clients. Webmin
allows managing an enormous amount of system daemons/services, from web
server, to DNS, mail, Samba/NFS, GIT/SVN/CVS, ftp, ssh, MySQL,
PostgreSQL, linux users and groups, etc.

There is also Cloudmin, for virtual machine/virtualization management.
All of them are developed by the same programmer, all are free, all are
written in Perl and self contained (can be setup in apache, nginx or
lighthttpd as well).

This would of course require Linux as the operating system. Linode and
Webmin provide support for the most common server distros, like Debian,
CentOS, and more generic ones like Ubuntu and Fedora. RHEL is also
supported.

It goes awesome with Debian 64-bit, using BIND, Apache2, FastCGI,
Dovecot, Postfix, PHP. Other software combinations are possible, like
nginx, lighthttpd, sendmail, qmail, and so on. I would recommend Debian
over CentOS, since it's easier to configure (when you don't need a
Display Manager and related software )and provides more software and
more updated software (ex, PHP 5.2) than it's counterpart.

 From my own experiences, you can't beat this combination with any other
provider or software.
www.linode.com
www.webmin.com