[consulting] Contract terms for retained services

Jamie intoxination at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 21:47:29 UTC 2010

Your list looks like you pretty much got the bases covered. One
additional thing I have started doing, after a rather hard lesson, is to
specify the site the retainer is for. I had a couple of clients think
that because I was a retainer for their one site, that they could start
using my services for a lot of new sites they were launching without any
additional charges.

Another good thing is limiting the contacts. Without that, you will
start finding your client having everyone in their organization
contacting you regarding problems, information or suggestions. That's
the reason a lot of larger shops go with the one contact/contract model.
Personally I'm not as strict on that, but make sure they know you won't
become a babysitter to every person working for them. Even if it's a
small company right now, you don't want to wake up one morning and find
out they have grown and you now have a ton of people on you. That's
something else I experienced years ago when starting out and it was way
to much stress to handle.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net